Notes - Approved

Meeting Notes

NAME OF COUNCIL/TEAM: Student Success Council
OBJECTIVE OF MEETING: Discuss agenda items
DATE OF MEETING: 12/07/2021
TIME: 1:00pm
LOCATION/ROOM #: https://lrccd.zoom.us/j/94341903565
CALL-IN NUMBER:+1 669 900 6833
CALL-IN CODE: 943 4190 3565
FACILITATOR(S): Frank Kobayashi, Sarah Lehmann
ASSISTANT: Beth Madigan
MEMBERS PRESENT: Nimo Ali, Sharon Gott, Marianne Harris, Carina Hoffpauir, Allyson Joye, Adam Karp, Frank Kobayashi, Jennifer Laflam, Sarah Lehmann, Jazzie Muganzo Murphy, Jessica Nelson, Tera Reynolds, Adam Windham, Raquel Arata, Ruby Dean, Mikhail Drobot, Beth Madigan, Jeff Stephenson
INVITED GUEST(S): Sonia Ortiz-Mercado, Homebase Resource Panel Team Members
SUPPORTING RESOURCES (ITEMS READ IN PREPARATION FOR AND/OR BROUGHT TO MEETING):
Attached Files:
HomeBase Resource Panel Report
OER Award Program
Student Textbook Survey: All Responses
Student Textbook Survey: Disaggregated Data
 
UPDATES AND BRIEF REPORTS:
Topic Person(s) Responsible Notes
Welcome! Check in question: What is one of your goals or projects for next semester? Frank Kobayashi & Sarah Lehmann
Welcome and check in completed.
OER Award Program update Sarah Lehmann, Adam Windham
ARC has been allocated HEERF funding to support the development of “Open Educational Resources” (OER) in Spring 2022 and reduce textbook costs for students. The Affordable Learning Materials Committee has developed a plan to use these funds to: 

Invest in faculty professional development around OER, equity, & accessibility 
Support individual faculty and departments who want to adopt/revise OER
Build institutional capacity to support OER and ZTC courses & degrees
Faculty can earn up to $5,000 via an ESA for contributing to this project.

OER Awards Program launched to help defray textbook costs for students, and to date twenty-five (25) applicants have submitted with the deadline for applicants on Friday, December 10, 2021.  
Forms & Process group update Sarah Lehmann, Adam Windham
The Forms & Process Group continues to meet, and has tackled several priorities including the NEA form for consultants, vendors and adjunct professors; counseling forms and others. New projects have been assigned teams of three.
ACTION ITEMS:
Question Person(s) Responsible Notes and Decision(s) Next Steps
Do we need to make any changes to the notes from the previous meeting? Sarah Lehmann 5
Notes were approved by consensus with changes which include adding the links to webinars presented by Pam Chao. This has been completed.
       
DISCUSSION ITEMS:
Question Person(s) Responsible Notes and Next Steps
Sonia Ortiz-Mercado (Vice President of Student Services at FLC) will join us to share an update on the financial aid centralization process. Sonia Ortiz-Mercado A presentation was given by Sonia Ortiz-Mercado which included the following areas: 1) Commitment to Equity; 2) Student-Centered Focus; 3) Guiding Principles; 4) Goals; 5) Timeline; and 6) Project Information and Contacts..
Financial Aid and Admissions Records Consultants assisted with the interviews of staff, faculty, supervisors and stakeholders. A draft report of the findings and recommendations will be shared in March 2022.

The HomeBase Resource Panel will share the results of their work from the past semester. Their final report is attached. Frank Kobayashi & Team Many of the Panel shared their perspectives and Council members gave feedback.

The current structure of HomeBases involves a Tri Chair model, who meet bi-weekly with the VPSS and
VPI. The Tri Chair, Instruction (Kathy Sorensen) oversees six Faculty Liaisons, one for each HomeBase.
The Tri Chair, Counseling (Nisha Beckhorn) oversees all aspects of counseling within the HomeBases
including assignments. The Lead Tri Chair (Jazzie Muganzo Murphy) oversees overall structure of
HomeBases and staff and peer mentors within each of the six HomeBases - current staff includes: Coach,
temp Clerk, Peer Mentors, Counselors, Faculty Liaisons.

Six HomeBases will be open and located on ground near the areas of instruction for Spring 2022 offering a space for instructors and counselors to meet with students.
Student Textbook Survey. Sarah and Adam worked with the research office to launch a student survey about textbooks. We will review and discuss the results. Sarah Lehmann, Adam Windham A Student Textbook Survey was produced in Fall 2021 and garnered 449 student respondents. The ability for students to have their textbooks the first day of class is challenging for many reasons including financial aid packaging, inequities related to payment, and not reaching students regarding available loans. Suggestions from Council members included creating a Welcome Email Template for faculty to send an email to students notifying them about required textbooks and adding a "textbook link" about loan options during online enrollment.
ITEMS FOR FUTURE CONSIDERATION:
Topic Contact Person
NA