Notes - Approved

Meeting Notes

NAME OF COUNCIL/TEAM: Student Success Council
OBJECTIVE OF MEETING: Discuss agenda items
DATE OF MEETING: 02/01/2022
TIME: 1:00pm
LOCATION/ROOM #: https://lrccd.zoom.us/j/94341903565
CALL-IN NUMBER:+1 669 900 6833
CALL-IN CODE: 943 4190 3565
FACILITATOR(S): Frank Kobayashi, Sarah Lehmann
ASSISTANT: Beth Madigan
MEMBERS PRESENT: Nimo Ali, Sharon Gott, Marianne Harris, Carina Hoffpauir, Allyson Joye, Frank Kobayashi, Jennifer Laflam, Sarah Lehmann, Jazzie Muganzo Murphy, Jessica Nelson, Tera Reynolds, Adam Windham, Raquel Arata, Pamela Chao, Mikhail Drobot, Beth Madigan, Jeff Stephenson, Angie Velarde-Burch, Connie Ayala
INVITED GUEST(S): Valerie Adger
SUPPORTING RESOURCES (ITEMS READ IN PREPARATION FOR AND/OR BROUGHT TO MEETING):
Attached Files:
HomeBase Resource Panel II: Draft Charter
HomeBase Resource Panel Report
Bias Response Team Charter draft II
 
UPDATES AND BRIEF REPORTS:
Topic Person(s) Responsible Notes
Remembering Ruby Dean-Smith. We got the sad news that Ruby Dean-Smith passed away on January 14, 2022. She served ARC students for 23 years, including most recently as an SPA at the Natomas Center. Ruby joined our committee in September 2021 as a classified professional with a focus on serving disproportionately impacted students. She will be greatly missed. Frank Kobayashi
In honor of Ruby Dean-Smith's passing, the Student Success Council took a moment of silence for one of our own. A ceremony of remembrance for Ruby was held outside of Natomas Center with over 50 of family, friends and colleagues attending.
Welcome to Spring 2022, and check in question: What is something fun you did over winter break? Frank Kobayashi & Sarah Lehmann
Check in with all members completed.
Announcement: incoming SCC co-chair Frank Kobayashi
Marianne Harris is our incoming Student Success Council co-chair. Welcome Marianne!
Accreditation update Frank Kobayashi
Frank Kobayashi is now serving as Accreditation Liaison Officer during the accreditation process. The ISER Team has been formulated.  Kristin Clark, Chancellor of West Hills CCD is the Chair and Angelica Suarez, President of Orange Coast College is the Vice Chair. The ISER Team will request additional evidence the week of February 14th.
A College “Open Forum” will take place on February 17th from 9:45 a.m. to 10:45 a.m. with the ISER Team.
At the end of February, the ISER Team will present the College with Core Inquiries.	The Focused Site Visit will take place the week of October 10th.

OER Award Program update Sarah Lehmann
Open Educational Resources (OER) has 8 department teams such as Sociology, Speech, English, Spanish, Chemistry and English As Second Language with reassign time for project leads. In addition, 35 individual faculty members are working on their own resources. OER is supported by peer mentors. Working toward an option for no cost textbooks for an entire school schedule and a website repository.
Bias Response Project Team update Frank Kobayashi & Sarah Lehmann
Bias Response Project Team incorporated edits from Student Success Council, Executive Leadership Team (ELT) approved the Charter and now individual members will be appointed.
ACTION ITEMS:
Question Person(s) Responsible Notes and Decision(s) Next Steps
  0
       
DISCUSSION ITEMS:
Question Person(s) Responsible Notes and Next Steps
HomeBases Resource Panel II: First Reading This semester, Frank Kobayashi and Jeff Stephenson will lead a second HomeBases Resource Panel, following up on the work they did last semester. (Their final report is attached for reference). This second resource panel will focus on how the HomeBases can become more integrated into the organizational structure of the College (or how the organizational structure may change to align with HomeBases). The Council requested to have input early on as this charter was written. What feedback/changes/suggestions do we have for the draft charter? Feel free to comment directly in the (attached) document. Frank Kobayashi & Sarah Lehmann The HomeBases Resource Panel II is a continuation of work from last semester. A rough draft of a Charter was reviewed and feedback given about project scope and purpose, organizational structure, additional options, Program Review, need for qualitative data, focus groups, and partnerships. Chair encouraged all feedback to be recorded on the document as edits., and for all Council members to gather feedback from their areas on what their questions, concerns, goals, and hopes for HomeBases are. We will discuss this again at our next meeting.
Student Design Team: Valerie Adger from the Beaver Cares program will join us to talk about the Student Design Team, which is a group of students whose job it is to help provide student perspectives on College projects. She will share what the group is and the kind of work they do, how to request to work with the Student Design Team, and what makes for a good project. Valerie Adger Valerie Adger gave an introduction to the Student Design Team concept and credited President Dixon with its creation. When departments or individuals need to hear from our students, the Student Design Team is called to action. Any group can make a project-based request by completing a request form.
ITEMS FOR FUTURE CONSIDERATION:
Topic Contact Person
NA