Notes - Approved

Meeting Notes

NAME OF COUNCIL/TEAM: Student Success Council
OBJECTIVE OF MEETING: Discuss DI-LGBTQIA+ and DI-API Project team reports
DATE OF MEETING: 04/06/2021
TIME: 1:00pm
LOCATION/ROOM #: https://cccconfer.zoom.us/j/94694923037
CALL-IN NUMBER:+1 669 900 6833
CALL-IN CODE: 946 9492 3037
FACILITATOR(S): Frank Kobayashi, Sarah Lehmann
ASSISTANT: Beth Madigan
MEMBERS PRESENT: Roderic Agbunag, Nimo Ali, Sharon Gott, Carina Hoffpauir, Adam Karp, Frank Kobayashi, Sarah Lehmann, Adam Windham, Vicki Alonso, Susan Andre, Raquel Arata, Pamela Chao, Jennifer Laflam, Beth Madigan, Jeff Stephenson,
INVITED GUEST(S): Neue Leung, Roger Davidson
SUPPORTING RESOURCES (ITEMS READ IN PREPARATION FOR AND/OR BROUGHT TO MEETING):
Attached Files:
LGBTQIA+ Project Team Report: FINAL
LGBTQIA+ Executive Summary
DI-API Project Team Report
Attached  
UPDATES AND BRIEF REPORTS:
Topic Person(s) Responsible Notes
Check in: what is something fun you did over the weekend (or over Spring break for those who took time off last week?) Sarah Lehmann
Check in completed.
Update from forms/process workgroup. Question for all council members: What form or process at the College do you most wish were easier for students or employees to complete? Sarah Lehmann
Interim VPA is lead for the new Forms & Process Group which met for the first time to discuss scope of work and strategy. Members to submit a list of forms and/or processes for the Lead to compile. Next meeting, members will rank and prioritize this list.

Additional forms suggested by Student Success Council members included: Travel Authorization Form, Non-Employee Access (NEA) form, counseling forms, Professional Development Leave forms, Late/Add Petitions, Purchasing forms, and Pass/No Pass/Major Change forms.
ACTION ITEMS:
Question Person(s) Responsible Notes and Decision(s) Next Steps
Are there any suggestions for changes to the notes from the previous meeting? Sarah Lehmann 0
Consensus to approve Notes from previous meeting with no changes.
DI-LGBTQIA+ Project Team Report: Second Reading. Does the committee have any questions or comment on the report? Frank Kobayashi & Sarah Lehmann Team Chair Roger Davidson provided the second reading of the DI-LGBTQIA+ Project Team Report to the Student Success Council members which is the sponsor of this Team.

The second reading included a section inadvertently left out and added changes and missing references, but no substantial differences were noted.

Answers to questions from Council Members included: 1) 70% of those represented in the survey are people of color, 2) the Report will be used to determine which implementation teams will kick off with funding; and 3) intention to have Report serve as a foundation document or communication starter for possible District implementation.

Team Notes: currently, there is no District oversight for PRIDE Centers, so ARC's PRIDE Center is now coordinating all campuses (eg: Spectrum Employee Group) with no advocacy for liaisons.

Next Steps: Once the sponsor Council approves moving the Report forward, it will go to the Executive Leadership Team (ELT) to prioritize implementation teams.

ACTION ITEM: Consensus among Members to move Report to ELT for review.

DISCUSSION ITEMS:
Question Person(s) Responsible Notes and Next Steps
DI-API Project Team Report: First Reading. Does the committee have any feedback, questions, or comments on the report? Team co-leads, Neue Leung and Raquel Arata, will share highlights from the report and answer questions. Frank Kobayashi & Sarah Lehmann Guest Neue Leung and Member Raquel Arata are co-chairs of the DI-API Project Team presenting the first reading of the DI-API Project Team Report. A Power Point presentation covered the components of the Report, including: 1) analysis of disproportionate impact among Asian Pacific Islanders (API) students; 2) theoretical framework; 3) literature review; 4) Student Experience Survey (SES); 5) student focus group interviews; 6) high impact practices; and 7) recommendations. The SES had a 9% return which is considered a high return showing that API students are more likely to have success in the classroom and be employed working at least 3 hours per week. Other observations recorded ratings of a sense of belonging, cultural relevance, API role models, designated space to gather and ways to reach these students in times of crises.

Some AANAPISI high impact practices from around the nation included: 1) ARC's Pacific Islander/Southeast Asian American Resilience Integrity & Self-Determination through Education or PRISE Program focuses on academic and social gatherings, dedicated counselors and mentors, and culturally relevant curriculum; 2) Sacrament State University's "Full Circle Project" focuses on learning community style ethnic studies for API students, a Leadership Institute promoting community service, and career guidance; and 3) North Seattle Community College Peer Navigation Program focusing on peer navigators in a one-stop shop concept (similar to ARC's HomeBases) and workforce and career development.

Recommendations for implementation: 1) support practices of "disaggregating data,"; 2) building on promising best practices; 3) providing culturally relevant instruction; 4) increasing outreach and support strategies; 5) doing more research; and 6) increasing API representation and role models by forming an API-focus group to support recruitment and retention.

Team Notes: 1) due to a surge of anti-Asian American sentiment and hate crimes, the Team will add either a section or preface to the Report; 2) surveys and research just scratched the surface of these issues requiring more focus groups, broader community input, and real time studies versus using retrospective studies; and 3) a desire to continue this work and to keep the conversation going.

Second reading of the API Report at the next meeting of the Student Success Council which is the sponsor of this Team.
     
ITEMS FOR FUTURE CONSIDERATION:
Topic Contact Person
DI-API Project Team Report - second reading at next meeting